This is a two day only program that will consist of classroom review followed by a written test and hands on performance test. The program requires a working knowledge of the following ASTM Standards:
- C 1064 – Temperature of Freshly Mixed Portland-Cement Concrete
- C 172 – Sampling Freshly Mixed Concrete
- C 143 – Slump of Hydraulic Cement Concrete
- C 138 – Unit Weight, Yield, and Air Content (Gravimetric) of Concrete
- C 231 – Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- C 173 – Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Volumetric Method
- C 31 – Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
8:00am – 4:00pm Classroom Review
8:00am – 9:00am Classroom Review
9:15am – 10:15am Written Test
10:30am – Until finished Hands on Performance Exam
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both of the following requirements:
- A passing grade on the ACI written examination; and
- Successful completion of the ACI performance examination.
The one-hour written examination is “closed book” and consists of 55 multiple choice questions. There are five (5) to ten (10) questions on each of the ASTM Standards. To pass the written examination, both of the following conditions must be met: (a) at least 60% correct for each of the required standards; and (b) a minimum score of 70% overall. The performance examination is also “closed book” and requires actual demonstration of six of the required ASTM Standards plus a verbal description of Sampling, ASTM C 172. The examinee is judged on his/her ability to correctly perform or describe all of the required procedures for each standard.
- If you fail any portion of the written test, you must retake the entire written test.
- If you pass the performance exam but fail the written exam, you have one year to pass the written exam before having to retake the performance exam.
Students will utilize the ACI Concrete Field Testing Manual. You will receive your books 2 weeks prior to the class you are registered for if you are an ACIA member. If you are a non-member, you must submit payment or verification of payment request to receive your books prior to the class.
What do you need for class?
Students will need their manual, pencil and calculator in class. Work clothes should be worn on day two for the performance exam.